The Department of Communication is dedicated to advancing knowledge about communication and its practice in society. Our faculty and students examine how meaning is created and negotiated in human interaction to address the personal, professional, and public communication challenges and opportunities posed by 21st century life. Our students become leaders in private, public and civil sectors by developing a deep and practical appreciation of how communication shapes the world in which we live. Our faculty members are internationally known experts whose research explains the complexity of communication processes in personal relationships, social networks, organizations and communities. This knowledge provides unique insights for innovations in communication across the domains of health, technology, business, government, civil society and the environment.
The following are foci of our faculty scholarship:
- Communication and Technology
- Health Communication
- Interpersonal Communication
- Language and Social Interaction
- Organizational Communication
Our faculty accomplishments include:
- NSF, NIH, U.S. Department of Education and other grant recipients.
- NIH/CDC grant reviewers.
- Multiple national and international awards.
- Dissertation and dissertation advisor award winners.
- Dozens of top paper and top article honors.
- Keynote addresses given at multiple national and international conferences.
- NCA and ICA division chairs.
- Journal editors and editorial board members for leading academic journals (Communication Monographs; Management Communication Quarterly; Communication Methods & Measures; JCMC; HCR; Communication Research; JACR; IT & Society; Information & Behavior; Health Communication; Research on Language and Social Interaction; Information, Communication & Society; and founding editor of Communication Yearbook)
- NCA Organizational Communication Division book award recipient.
- Rutgers awards for research, teaching and service.