First University building
The history of the University of Wisconsin does not begin in this year, since the Territorial Legislature had set aside land for the University of the Territory of Wisconsin all the way back in 1835. However, the first building on the campus was opened in 1851, making this a notable year in the institution's history. Two more buildings would be completed by 1859. The University was known at this time as the Wisconsin State University; the name had been changed after Wisconsin had become a state in 1848.