Sites related to the Food & Drink of the time
Alcoholic Drinks of the Middle Ages
- A collection of essays, recipes, and other research by the author
on the drinking of medieval England.
- Bibliography of
Books on the Topic Medieval and Renaissance Food and Feasts
- Actually, it's an annotated bibliography. The books are of a
variety of types (reference, children, etc.) but will definitely give
you some practical places to start.
Renfrow - A Sip Through Time - Recipes
- These are sample mead recipes from Cindy Renfrows's book A sip
through time that have been transcribed from some older sources.
The sources are included.
gleanings from John Gerard's Herball
- Selections from the 1633 herbal that relate to the preparation of
food. Useful if you want to know how they used mint
300 years ago.
- A Guide
- Is primarily a history and detailed description of mead. Includes
a recipe as well. Very clear, concise, and easy to read.
Historia con nosotros
- A web site created by Teresa and Jesus de Castro. Teresa's
portion looks at the food & drink of medieval Castille, Granada, and
more. It's entirely in Spanish but full of resources. Many thanks to
Teresa for pointing her site out to me and to Babelfish for the translation.
Historical Recipes of Different Cultures
- A text only collection of recipes translated to modern cooking.
Cookbooks -- An Annotated Bibliography
- An excellently annotated list of historical cookbooks. The
bibliography includes an excellent explanation as to the reasons
behind the recommendations for or against each title.
The Medieval Kitchen: Recipes from France and Italy, six recipes
- This site contains six sample recipes from the book
The Medieval Kitchen. Or you could buy the book, I suppose, for even more than that.
- An SCA site for brewing discussions. Includes information on how
to join a historical brewing mailing list.
A short bibliography of Medieval/Renaissance brewing
- The benefit of this list is that it's annotated so you can avoid
the useless items & get to the good stuff. Some of the books in
the bibliography contain recipes for food as well.
Return to the Table of Contents to select
Please address all comments, suggestions, additions, and thoughts
Last Updated: Dec. 30, 2003