For potential students who are interested in taking courses as a non-degree student, the Library and Information Science concentration limits non-degree status to students who fit the following criteria:
- Rutgers MI degree holders who did not complete the education courses while completing a MI degree. **Students graduating or recently graduated, please contact Jay Stefanelli, Associate Director of Student Services, before submitting a non-degree application.**
- People pursuing Associate School Library Media Specialist certification in the state of New Jersey and need to complete the education requirement. Rutgers no longer offers a program that meets the 21 credits of coursework required for ASLMS certification, but students can still complete the education courses at Rutgers.
- Degreed librarians who wish to make a career change to school libraries. If a student holds a MI degree and focused on an area other than school library media studies during a program of study, the student will need to complete additional coursework to meet the state requirements for School Library Media Specialist. Rutgers cannot review a student’s academic program to determine which courses may need to be taken, but the NJDOE can. Please send all evaluation questions, along with a cover letter explaining the student’s situation, a copy of a MI transcript, and a copy of the course descriptions from that MI program, to email@example.com.
- Certified school library media specialists and associate school library media specialists who would like to update their skills and knowledge.
- MI degree-holders who would like to update their skills and knowledge.
- People enrolled in a school library media program at another educational institution and need to complete a course due to scheduling issues. Note that students must receive permission from an adviser in their educational program to be able to transfer credits from Rutgers to the student’s program.
Those who are not graduates of a MI program, seeking certification, or who are currently in a MI program, are not eligible to take our library courses as a non-degree student.
- Submit the Graduate Application:
- Select "Non-Degree Application" as Application Type
- When reaching "Index of Graduate Programs", select "Professional Credit Programs"
- Select "SC&I Professional Development" as Program Name
- $70 Non-refundable Application Fee (requested immediately after the application is submitted)
- Official MI transcripts with student’s name, institution's name, and date of degree conferred.
Once the application has been submitted it will be reviewed. Students will be alerted of a decision via mail. Once admitted as a non-degree student, students may register for courses.