For potential students who are interested in taking courses as a non-degree student, the Master of Information program limits non-degree status to students who fit the following criteria:
- Rutgers MI graduates who did not complete the School Librarianship concentration and/or the education component while completing a MI degree. **Students graduating or recently graduated, please contact Allison Machiaverna, Graduate Student Counselor, before submitting a non-degree application.**
- Degreed librarians who wish to make a career change to school libraries. If a student holds a MI degree and focused on an area other than school library media studies during a program of study, the student will need to complete additional coursework to meet the state requirements for School Library Media Specialist. Rutgers cannot review a student’s academic program, from another institution, to determine which courses may need to be taken. Please send all evaluation questions, along with a cover letter explaining the student’s situation, a copy of a MI transcript, and a copy of the course descriptions from that MI program, to the NJDOE at email@example.com.
Please note, following the admission cycle deadline, your certification evaluation from the New Jersey State Department of Education will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee. If it's determined that you will require four or more courses in order to meet the School Library Media certification, you will not be eligible for the non degree, professional credit program. Four or more courses exceeds the maximum number of courses allowed in the non-degree, professional credit program. If you remain interested, we will update your records in the application portal to reflect your consideration to the Master of Information program. You would be classified as a MI applicant. Be advised that your MI application may require additional documentation.
Non-Degree Application Process
- Complete the Graduate Application by the application deadline:
- Select "Non-Degree Application" as Application Type
- When reaching "Index of Graduate Programs", select "Professional Credit Programs"
- Select "SC&I Professional Development" as Program Name
- Application requirements include:
- Official MI transcripts with student’s name, institution's name, and date of degree conferred
- The State of New Jersey Department of Education evaluation to determine SLMS CE/CEAS eligibility (uploaded as a supporting document)
- $70 Non-refundable Application Fee (requested immediately after the application is submitted)
Applications must be complete with all the above requirements by the deadline to be considered for admission:
- September Admission: August 1
- January Admission: December 1
- May Admission: April 15
Following the application deadline, completed applications will be reviewed. Applicants will be informed of a decision via mail. Applicants can also check their admission status online. Once admitted as a non-degree student, students may register for courses but will need to request special permission numbers from the Office of Student Services.