For potential students who are interested in taking courses as a non-degree student, the Master of Information program limits non-degree status to students who fit the following criteria:
- Rutgers MI graduates who did not complete the education component while completing a MI degree. **Students graduating or recently graduated, please contact Allison Machiaverna, Graduate Student Counselor, before submitting a non-degree application.**
- Degreed librarians who wish to make a career change to school libraries. If a student holds a MI degree and focused on an area other than school library media studies during a program of study, the student will need to complete additional coursework to meet the state requirements for School Library Media Specialist. Rutgers cannot review a student’s academic program, from another institution, to determine which courses may need to be taken. Please send all evaluation questions, along with a cover letter explaining the student’s situation, a copy of a MI transcript, and a copy of the course descriptions from that MI program, to the NJDOE at email@example.com.
Non-Degree Application Process
- Complete the Graduate Application by the application deadline:
- Select "Non-Degree Application" as Application Type
- When reaching "Index of Graduate Programs", select "Professional Credit Programs"
- Select "SC&I Professional Development" as Program Name
- Application requirements include:
- Official MI transcripts with student’s name, institution's name, and date of degree conferred
- The State of New Jersey Department of Education evaluation to determine SLMS CE/CEAS eligibility (uploaded as a supporting document)
- $70 Non-refundable Application Fee (requested immediately after the application is submitted)
Applications must be complete with all the above requirements by the deadline to be considered for admission:
- September Admission: August 1
- January Admission: December 1
- May Admission: April 15
Following the application deadline, completed applications will be reviewed. Applicants will be informed of a decision via mail. Applicants can also check their admission status online. Once admitted as a non-degree student, students may register for courses but will need to request special permission numbers from the Office of Student Services.