The Department of Library and Information Science offers a 39-credit undergraduate major in ITI. To be accepted into the School of Communication & Information and apply to the ITI major, students must complete:
- Expository Writing, 01:355:101, or an equivalent course or placement, with a grade of C or better,
- At least 15 credits at Rutgers, or at least 15 transfer credits to Rutgers, with at least a 2.0 Grade Point Average, and
- With a grade of C or better the required prerequisite survey course 04:189:103 - Information Technology and Informatics.
Please note that meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission to the ITI major.
Following the completion of 04:189:103 Information Technology and Informatics and being admitted to the major, ITI students must complete three sets of requirements:
- An interdisciplinary requirement within SC&I
- Core ITI courses
- Elective ITI courses
SC&I Interdisciplinary Requirement
- Introduction to Communication and Information Systems and Processes 04:189:101
- Introduction to Media 04:189:102
Complete descriptions of these and other SC&I undergraduate courses are available.
ITI students must complete four required courses in the major:
- Social Informatics 04:547:200
- Introduction to Computer Concepts 04:547:201
- Object-Oriented Programming 04:547:202
- Management of Technological Organizations 04:547:210
In addition, ITI students must select seven elective courses from the course listing for the ITI Major.
Please see the advisors in the Student Services Office, SC&I Room 214, if you have any questions or need assistance with prerequisites or special permission numbers.