Completing Journalism and Media Studies Requirements
All JMS majors are required to take two core courses:
- 04:567:200 - Writing for Media (Three credits)
- 04:567:480 - Media Ethics (Three credits)
All JMS majors are required to choose at least one track. Students must complete:
- One foundation course
- Two courses in Expression, Analysis, and Innovation (EAI)
- Two courses in Analysis, Ethics, Power, and Systems (AEPS)
- One of the AEPS courses must be at the 400 level
All JMS majors must also take:
- Electives (12 credits)
A complete list of JMS courses is available. Students can take any course in the major as an elective, including foundation courses from another track.
The Department of Journalism and Media Studies is committed to addressing issues around Diversity, Difference, and Social Justice. To accomplish this, students MUST take at least one of the following courses to complete the major:
04:567:274 - Consumer Media Culture
04:567:333 - Media and Popular Culture
04:567:334 - Gender, Race, and Class in the Media
04:567:351 - Digital Media and Society
04:567:365 - Mediating the Middle East
04:567:380 - Media and Social Change
04:567:420 - Global News
04:567:475 - International Media
Any of these courses will satisfy a track requirement if it is listed under either Expression, Analysis, and Innovation or Analysis, Ethics, Power, and Systems. Students should check their chosen track or speak to an adviser to verify.
To graduate with a JMS major all students must:
- Complete 33 credits in the major plus 3 credits of the Interdisciplinary Requirement.
- Earn a grade of C or better in all SC&I courses in order for those courses to count toward requirements.
SC&I Interdisciplinary Requirement
JMS majors must complete either 04:189:101 - Introduction to Communication or 04:189:103 - Information Technology and Informatics, to fulfill the three-credit interdisciplinary requirement of the school. The course must be taken before senior year. These credits do not count toward the major, but are a requirement of the school for all majors. Students must earn a C or better to meet the requirement.
Students may wish to browse the entire list of JMS major requirements.