The Department of Library and Information Science offers a 39-credit undergraduate major in Information Technology and Informatics. The ITI major places emphasis on the evaluation, implementation, use, and management of information technologies for a wide range of organizations and corporations, as well as the social and organizational aspects of information and communication technologies. The major unites theories drawn from the humanities and social sciences with practical computer-based competencies.
For video with student perspectives and additional descriptive information click here.
Handbook and Resources
Academic policies and procedures may be found in the school catalog at: http://catalogs.rutgers.edu/generated/sci_current/.
Program-level Learning Objectives
Upon successful completion of the ITI program and through the body of work completed in the 39 credits in the program, students will be able to demonstrate:
- Understanding approaches for the evaluation, implementation, use, and management of information technologies for a wide range of organizations and corporations, as well as the social and organizational aspects of information and communication technologies. A focus is on the importance of logical thinking and the need for highly developed technical skills founded in understanding contexts, principles and processes of programming.
- Recognizing and applying the central concepts of management and organizational theory as they apply to the technological marketplace and organizational settings, and how information technology infrastructures and systems support corporate and organizational goals.
- Understanding people as the users of technology, and the social, cultural, philosophical, ethical, legal, public policy and economic issues relating to information technologies
- Proficiency in the analysis of problems and opportunities to which information technologies might be applied and the development of appropriate solutions including design and use of coding languages.
- Ability to apply information technology and management theories and concepts to social, professional and civic life.
Admission to the Major
To become an ITI major, you must be first be admitted to the School of Communication and Information. In order to apply to the major you must:
Have completed Expository Writing (01:355:101), or an equivalent course or placement, with a grade of C or better,
Have completed at least 15 credits at Rutgers, or at least 15 transfer credits to Rutgers, with at least a 2.0 Grade Point Average, and
Have completed with a grade of C or better the required prerequisite survey course 04:189:103 - Information Technology and Informatics.
Please note that meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee you admission to the ITI major.
SC&I accepts applications to majors in the fall, spring, and summer terms. Details about deadlines and application forms are available on this website; use the link to the right or go directly to the undergraduate application page. If you are not admitted in a given semester and have special circumstances, you may wish to discuss this matter with Assistant Dean Kevin Ewell. You may also re-apply in the next semester.
The ITI major begins with two pre-requisite courses required for admission. Students normally take these courses during their freshman or sophomore year.
After completing 103 and being admitted to the major, ITI students must complete three sets of requirements: an interdisciplinary requirement within SC&I, core ITI courses, and elective ITI courses.
SC&I Interdisciplinary Requirement
- [04:189:101] Introduction to Communication and Information Systems and Processes
[04:189:102] Introduction to Media Systems and Processes
(Click to see descriptions of these SC&I-Wide Undergraduate Courses)
ITI students must complete four required courses in the major:
1. 04:547:200 Social Informatics
2. 04:547:201 Introduction to Computer Concepts
3. 04:547:202 Object-Oriented Programming
4. 04:547:210 Management of Technological Organizations
In addition, ITI students must select seven elective courses from the course listing for the ITI Major.
**Please see the advisors in the Student Services Office, SC&I Room 214, if you have any questions or need assistance with prerequisites or special permission numbers pertaining co-requisites or prerequisites.
(The Study Abroad section is currently being updated.)
Contact the Information Technology & Informatics Program
By Email: email@example.com
By Phone: 848-932-7550848-932-7550
Information Technology & Informatics Program, SC&I
Rutgers , the State University of New Jersey
4 Huntington Street
New Brunswick , NJ 08901-1071