Students learn to navigate workplace situations where professional achievement requires well developed communication understanding and skill, and the ability to apply these competencies to online and virtual interaction. The course focuses on online communication settings where interpersonal and group dynamics, knowledge and information dissemination, negotiation and conflict resolution are vital.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Explain factors involved in effective online and mediated communication in a professional setting, with groups, teams, and with people from different cultural, social, professional, and organizational backgrounds.
- Apply a variety of communication capabilities such as assessing an audience, formulating communication objectives, selecting medium, language, and tone, and identifying nonverbal behaviors.
- Identify common obstacles to effective problem solving and decision making and develop approaches anticipate and address these challenges online.
- Present ideas coherently online.
- Recognize and learn from online communication situations that that did and did not go well.
- Negotiate, problem solve, and respectfully share in team responsibilities with group members while displaying courtesy and professional etiquette in online and mediated settings.