How to keep what we have for as long as we want to have it. The risks to physical materials, and the ways of preventing loss. Deterioration, environmental controls, and principles of handling. Reformatting. Digital preservation.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Understand why the contents of libraries are at risk.
- Assess the problems in a particular library.
- Recommend solutions.
- Assess the relative advantages of repair or reformatting.
- Preserve digital information.
- Create plans for physical protection.