This course provides students with a practical introduction to the field of Data Science and familiarizes them with the essential facets of the data scientist profession. This includes a grounding on data-based reasoning, problem formulation, data collection, data pre-processing, data analytics, visualization, and the ethics surrounding the use of data and its processing.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Assess and articulate the relevance of data for a particular business or societal problem.
- Collect, store, and retrieve data originating from multiple sources.
- Preprocess diverse data into standardized formats.
- Undertake exploratory data analysis to generate insights from the data.
- Visualize data into charts and other visual representations for generating insights and supporting decision making.
- Describe the ethical, legal, and social implications of such data collection and processing.