This course examines the technologies used to transact business electronically. It investigates a range of social, economic and security issues related to such transactions, and the design of websites that facilitate these transactions.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Identify and evaluate the technologies web developers use to create e-commerce websites.
- Identify issues of security, privacy, intellectual property, digital currency, and propose web solutions.
- Undertake comparative cost analysis in terms of doing business online versus the costs of doing business in a physical location.
- Understand and apply strategies (such as advertising, risk management) appropriate to conducting business in a digital environment.
- Analyze e-commerce sites to identify why some sites work more successfully than others.
- Develop a business plan for transacting business in an electronic environment.
- As part of a team process, develop a prototype e-commerce website for a locally-based organization.