Students develop a professional e-portfolio that showcases: a resume; academic work, professional development courses, certifications and/or military service; social media and other digital assets; relevant audio/video material; professional, community, and school activities; and writing samples.
Upon successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Describe what an e-portfolio is and how it may be used by prospective employers or relevant organizations/institutions.
- Identify the opportunities/dangers of online self-presentation/branding and networking in a digital world.
- Compile an inventory of skills, accomplishments, prior learning experiences, and salient examples that will help in the discovery of career potential and the development of a career strategy, which will guide e-portfolio design and content.
- Strategize to determine personal short- and long-term communication career goals.
- Create and/or update materials (e.g., a resume, LinkedIn profile, writing and/or video samples, elevator speech, etc.) relevant to career positioning and for possible inclusion in the e-portfolio.
- Successfully plan, draft, revise, and create a quality e-portfolio on an appropriately selected platform that effectively and dynamically showcases pertinent experiences, skills, education, and talent as a communications professional.