This course is designed to prepare youth services librarians for leadership in teaching and supporting new literacies. Students will develop strategies to empower K12 learners to engage in critical inquiry and become creative constructors of knowledge, global collaborators, computational and design thinkers, and digital citizens. They will envision inclusive, technology-rich library environments in which learners think, create, share, and grow and explore the cultural implications of new forms of digital creativity and communication for youth as they examine relevant academic literature across the disciplines.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Evaluate current societal shifts, theoretical frameworks, and standards for integrating digital technologies for inquiry, knowledge building, problem solving, production, communication, creativity, sharing and participation. [THEORY/CURRENT AWARENESS]
- Select, curate and apply digital content and tools--both subscription and Open Educational Resources (OER)--to support inquiry and learning for targeted groups of K12 students and faculty, across platforms and devices. [CURATION]
- Engage learners in designing and creating media-rich knowledge products across a variety of information and communication platforms to encourage participation, voice, citizenship and agency. [STUDENT DESIGN/CREATION]
- Actively and collaboratively design, create, and implement instructional content using a range of new and emerging technologies to support a variety of emerging literacies. [INSTRUCTIONAL DESIGN/CREATION]
- Participate in networked professional dialogue in established online communities of practice and cultivate a personal learning network (PLN) to facilitate current awareness and professional growth.
- Address ethical issues involved in the effective use of digital technologies in K12 learning environments, including issues of access, equity, intellectual freedom, privacy and the practice of digital
- Articulate vision relating to the role of technology in the learning process and lead a learning community in problem solving with new and emerging technologies. [VISION/LEADERSHIP]
- Foster and develop agility, competencies and mindsets for productive, innovative and effective use of digital technologies with children, teens and adults. [EDUCATOR / LEARNER MINDSETS]