Students will cover the game-changing stories of our time, from the widening gap between the rich and the poor to battles over immigration to the climate change wars that may determine our very survival. They will analyze groundbreaking journalism and have an opportunity to write and shoot commanding stories of their own.
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Analyze, write and interview subjects about major social issues they are likely to cover as journalists.
- Develop stories in a range of feature styles, such trend and human interest stories, profiles and reported essays.
- Conduct journalistic research.
- Interview people about complex and sensitive issues.
- Develop writing techniques that will make their stories stand out.
- Incorporate photography, audio and video storytelling into their work.