Assistant Vice President, Office of University Strategy and Director, Rutgers Center for Organizational Leadership
Ralph serves as Assistant Vice President for Strategic Programs in the Office of University Strategy and Director of the Center for Organizational Leadership at Rutgers University, where he provides executive leadership for a portfolio of signature academic leadership programs, consultation services, and research initiatives. In this role, he oversees the alignment and coordination of localized planning activities with major university priorities, and he ensures consistency of academic leadership development efforts across the institution.
He holds part-time faculty appointments in the Department of Communication, Ph.D. Program in Higher Education, and Department of Family Medicine and Community Health at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.
His research and consulting interests explore topics related to organizational communication, leadership, crisis, strategy, and training and development within the context of higher education.
Ralph is the author and co-author of over 40 journal articles and book chapters, and the author of these recently published books:
- A Guide for Leaders in Higher Education: Concepts, Competencies, and Tools (2nd edition, with B. Ruben & R. De Lisi, Stylus Publishing, 2021)
- Leadership in Academic Health Centers: Core Concepts and Critical Cases (with C. Goldthwaite, Kendall Hunt Publishing, 2021)
- Crisis Leadership in Higher Education: Theory and Practice (Rutgers University Press, 2019)
- Leadership, Communication, and Social Influence: A Theory of Resonance, Activation, and Cultivation (with B. Ruben, Emerald Publishing, 2019)
- Leadership: Social Influence in Personal and Professional Settings (with B. Ruben & C. Goldthwaite, Kendall Hunt Publishing, 2017)
Ralph is a member of the 2021 Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award Board of Examiners (National Institute of Standards and Technology, United States Department of Commerce), in addition to his involvement on the Board of Directors for the Network for Change and Continuous Innovation in Higher Education (NCCI). Finally, he serves as a co-lead for the New Jersey Alliance for Clinical and Translational Science (NJ ACTS) Team Science Core.