SERVICE, ADVOCACY, AND IMPACT helps students build practical skills in using communication for the greater good. In this course, we will explore the ways that communicators can use their abilities in the context of nonprofit organizations, direct community service provision, or corporate social good. This course will combine instruction, group work and reflection, and a hands-on project with a community organization in order to pair learning with practice. By the end of this course, students will have first-hand, working knowledge of the opportunities and challenges in using communication for public service.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Observe and practice ways that communications can be leveraged for positive social impact.
- Develop intimate understanding of the opportunities and challenges facing communicators who intend to focus on CSR, nonprofit, or community-based service in their careers.
- Synthesize concepts of project management through the development and execution of a successful project plan.
- Apply digital communication/social media to purpose-driven work.
- Implement key principles for creating and delivering powerful presentations.
- Commit to making a positive impact in the world.