The effects of gender roles in interpersonal communication; examination of literature and research on differences between male and female patterns of interaction.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Understand the conceptual foundations of gendered communication including how to think critically about contemporary global issues from a multidisciplinary perspective.
- Understand the process of communication and how it affects the social construction of gender as well as gain a better understanding of the terminology related to communication, gender, and culture in terms of how it is put into practice.
- Analyze and synthesize information and ideas from multiple sources in order to generate new ideas and insights.
- Appreciate diverse cultures and intergenerational traditions particularly as they relate to self-identity, education, close relationships, organizations, media, and issues of power/violence.
- Demonstrate an ability to work with a team in planning and presenting scholarly materials as well as facilitating group discussions around issues related to our gendered lives.