The key issues explored in this course concern the management of interorganizational relationships and projection of organizational reputation, image, and identity to external audiences. The course begins with identification and specification of the external environment(s) of organizations. Readings and discussion explore interorganizational relationships, boundary-spanning communication, and management of external stakeholder relationships.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Identify key concepts related to IORs; organizational environments; and stakeholder relationships.
- Describe important established relationships among these concepts and to argue for the important roles of communication in maintaining, altering, and dissolving IORs and stakeholder relationships.
- Describe important research findings that describe communication and organizational dynamics related to IORs and stakeholder relationships.
- Synthesize the literature on these subjects to support an original argument regarding these issues.
- Translate the theory and research findings into practice and apply the general scholarship to a specific situation.