Overview of creation, production, and distribution of materials. Emphasis on community analysis, collection development planning, criteria and methods for selection, collection evaluation, and collection management procedures and techniques.
Upon completion of this course students will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of all formats of material found in libraries,
- Develop a profile of the user community of a library,
- Develop a collection development policy for a library,
- Manage the library's materials budget,
- Manage the acquisition of library materials and work with distributors,
- Apply the principles of selection and deselection of library materials,
- Develop an evaluation plan for the library's collection,
- Discuss legal and intellectual freedom issues.