Interested students must meet each of the following minimum requirements in order to submit an application to any School of Communication and Information major. Students must have already completed:
- Expository Writing (01:355:101) at Rutgers University or an exact equivalent course with a grade of C or better; AND
- At least 15 credits at Rutgers, or at least 15 transfer credits to Rutgers, with at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA; AND
- The required course for the major of your choice with a grade of C or better.
For Communication Major applicants, the required prerequisite survey course is 04:189:101 Introduction to Communication and Information Processes.
For Journalism & Media Studies Major applicants, the required prerequisite survey course is 04:189:102 Introduction to Media (formerly Introduction to Media Systems and Processes).
For Information Technology & Informatics Major applicants, the required prerequisite survey course is 04:189:103 Information Technology and Informatics.
Please note that meeting our minimums does not guarantee admission to a major.
To complete an application for a major
- Log in to the application.
- Students should complete some basic information about themselves and complete a one page essay.
- The essay question asks students to explain why they are interested in the major and what a student projects to be doing after graduating with a Rutgers bachelor degree. The essay should be a maximum of one page.
- Upload the application essay and unofficial Rutgers University transcripts to the undergraduate application portal.
The application for majors is available online at the beginning of each semester; there are specific deadlines for filing during the semester. It is important that a student "SUBMIT" the application once it is completed. Our admissions committee will not be able to review applications that are not submitted properly or in a timely fashion.