Current Rutgers University students can apply to the School of Communication to pursue a major in:
In order to apply for admission* to any one of the above School of Communication and Information undergraduate majors, you must meet the following preconditions prior to submitting your application:
- Have completed Expository Writing (355:101) with a grade of C or better.
- Have completed at least 15 credits at Rutgers (or have at least 15 transfer credits to Rutgers), with at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average.
- Have completed the appropriate SC&I prerequisite survey course with a grade of C or better.
- For Communication, completed Introduction to Communication and Information Processes (04:189:101) with a grade of C or better.
- For Information Technology and Informatics, completed Information Technology and Informatics (04:189:103) with a grade of C or better.
- For Journalism and Media Studies, completed Introduction to Media (04:189:102) with a grade of C or better.
* Meeting the minimum requirements to apply to the major does not guarantee admission to the major. Admission to the major is based upon multiple factors, including but not limited to, GPA, grades in Expository Writing and the appropriate introductory major course, and the essay.
Students may also wish to take one of SC&I’s minors in Digital Communication and Information or Gender and Media Studies. If admitted to a SC&I major, students gain a new affiliation with SC&I. Students will also retain an affiliation with their admitting four-year school.
Prospective freshman and transfer students who are not yet Rutgers University students must first apply to Rutgers through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
To request information to any academic program, please visit the request information page.
To review SC&I undergraduate academic programs, visit our academic overview.
READY TO APPLY to a SC&I undergraduate academic program, visit the SC&I application page.