School of Communication and Information Graduation Convocation
Thursday, May 16, 2019
Louis Brown Athletic Center (the RAC) on Livingston Campus
If you are a SC&I undergraduate major or masters student with a 2019 degree - whether January, May, August, or October - this is the ceremony at which your name will be called and you will walk across the stage and be congratulated individually.
- Graduates must arrive by 2 p.m. inside the RAC to line up for the processional.
- Guests should plan to be seated by 2:45 p.m.
- The ceremony itself will run from 3-5 p.m. You can count on us to begin and end promptly.
- A small reception will follow the ceremony.
- If you have guests who cannot come to campus but want to watch, they will be able to view the ceremony live. See the livestream information below.
Other Ceremonies You Can Attend
Undergraduate students: For information about ceremonies associated with your SAS, SEBS, or other Rutgers school, visit the Rutgers graduation website.
Masters students: The SC&I ceremony is the only one where your name will be called.
Doctoral students: You may participate in both the SC&I and SGS ceremonies. You will be hooded at both, although at the SC&I ceremony we will read your dissertation title and you will be hooded by your adviser. For more details about the SGS ceremony, visit the SGS website.
All students: Everyone is invited to the grand University Commencement ceremony on Sunday, May 19, from 10:00 to 11:30am at HighPoint.com Stadium! Check the University Commencement website for more information.
General Information About Graduation
Neither guests nor graduates need tickets for the SC&I ceremony on Thursday, May 16 at the RAC.
Students do not need to RSVP if you are coming.
We have seating for as many guests as you want to bring.
Students will be able to print your own invitations to give to your family and friends after spring break from this page.
The Louis Brown Athletic Center (known as the RAC) is at 83 Rockafeller Road in Piscataway, NJ, on the Rutgers-New Brunswick Livingston Campus.
Please note that Rutgers Police will be adding to Waze, Google maps, Apple maps, and TomTom, in real time on graduation days to note any road closures or other issues.
There will be plenty of signs to direct you once you are near campus.
Graduating Students with Special Needs
Guests with Special Needs
- SC&I ceremony: The best place for a guest to park who has accessibility issues is in the Green Lot near the RAC. If someone else is driving, the guest can be dropped off relatively close to the door.
- For University Commencement: you will be able to register for an accessible permit when you sign up for graduation. At the Stadium, you will be able to park nearby (although it is still a bit of a walk).
- SC&I ceremony: There is special needs seating inside the RAC and there is no need to register separately for access to it. One member of your group will be able to sit with the person who has special needs; the rest of the group will be directed to regular seating.
- University Commencement: See the University Commencement website for details.
Caps and Gowns
If you are an undergraduate, you should purchase a gown based on your four-year Rutgers college (e.g., SAS, SEBS). You will wear a white hood for a B.A. degree.
If you are a graduate student, make sure you get a black cap and gown and the appropriate colored hood: for MCIS/MCM it is silver; for MI it is lemon yellow; for Ph.D. it is a deep blue.
Doctoral students who are planning an academic career may consider having a custom set of regalia made. This takes four to six weeks so order early!
The Rutgers Bookstore will run a Graduate Fair during April 24 and 25 (10am to 6pm) at which regalia and other graduation accessories such as rings will be sold. You will also be able to get a portrait photograph taken.
Students who do not have a cap and gown may still participate in the SC&I ceremony.
Food and Drink on the Day of Graduation
University Commencement: See the University Commencement website for details.
We will stream our graduation ceremony live beginning just before 3 p.m. on May 16th at https://livestream.com/accounts/7277267/events/8584614
A photographer will take photos of every graduate who walks across the stage. The vendor, Island Photography, will email you shortly after the ceremony with a link so you can review and purchase your photos. Or, click here to register in advance to view your photo gallery. You can enter your own email and up to six emails of family and friends with whom you would like to share your photos. Images will be posted within 72 hours of the ceremony. Purchase is optional, of course.
If You Will Complete Your Degree in Summer 2019, or Are a May 2019 Graduate with Some Outstanding Grades
Bachelors and masters students who will complete their requirements during Summer 2019 may participate in the May 2019 graduation ceremony. You should be registered for your summer classes before graduation.
If you are a May graduate and have one or two incomplete grades, you can still participate in the convocation ceremony. Obviously you will not receive a diploma until all of your degree requirements have been completed successfully.
Make Sure You've Done All the Steps!
- Be sure all your academic requirements are on track by speaking with an adviser
- Register for Sunday's Commencement parking hangtags between March and April
- Make sure you have cleared out all outstanding financial obligations
- Purchase your academic regalia
- Invite your guests
- Record a thank you shout-out to be played on the Jumbotron and register for Senior Days events
- Get excited!
- Complete Rutgers' Post-Graduation Survey for a chance to win an Amazon gift card. Go to https://careers.rutgers.edu/gradsurvey. We really want to know about your plans for the future.
- Attend SC&I's convocation on Thursday, May 16
- Attend Rutgers' Commencement on Sunday, May 19