Master's Student Guide

MI, MHCI, and MCM students will find extremely useful information in the Master's Students Guide.

Accepting Admission

Accepting admission - All newly admitted applicants must accept or decline their offer of admission and indicate their intent to join the Rutgers University community as a graduate student. Please do so at this admissions page. Your offer of acceptance is valid for one academic year. To maintain your acceptance, you must enroll in and complete at least three credits within the first semester of your acceptance. Otherwise, you may need to reapply for admission. If you wish to defer admission to a subsequent term, you must contact the program director.

NetID and Email

University NetID and Email - All new graduate students are required to activate a NetID as soon as possible. In activating a NetID, you are creating your unique identity in the University-wide identification and authentication system. With a NetID, you will be able to access library services, course websites, our online registration system (WebReg), and much more. While creating your NetID, you will also be setting up your Rutgers Email account. This email account will be the University’s primary means of communication with you and you are responsible for all email sent by the University to this address. We recommend checking it often or have your emails forwarded to an address that you check often. To set up this account, visit and click on “NetID Activation.” To have your emails forwarded, visit and click on “Manage Email Addresses.”

Health Insurance and Immunizations

Health Insurance - Full-time Rutgers students are required to show proof of insurance coverage. Students must either waive (show proof of private health insurance) or enroll in the University-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan. Hard waiver details and online forms can be found on this site. The link will also be available on the student’s tuition bill. Full-time students who do not show proof of adequate health insurance will be automatically enrolled in the University-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan and the premium will be added to the student’s bill. Students with private health insurance and part-time students may voluntarily enroll in a University-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan. For details on plans and how to enroll, please visit this site. NOTE: Online degree programs or non-matriculated students registered for online courses only are not eligible to enroll.

Health insurance, student or private, is separate from Health Services on campus. For questions regarding University-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plans administered by United Healthcare Insurance Company, call 1-800-505-4160; or call 1-848-932-8285 for Rutgers Student Insurance Office.

Immunizations - all on-campus and hybrid Rutgers degree-seeking students are required to submit their immunization records. Complete information, including a link to the downloadable form, is available on the website of Rutgers University Health Services.

ID Cards and Parking

ID Cards - First-Year Graduate students must be registered for classes to be eligible for an RUConnection card. All graduate students (including online only students) have access to Rutgers University libraries, computer labs, recreation centers, RU Express accounts, and meal plans via their RUConnection card. Obtain an ID Card.

Parking - All eligible students of the University are required to have a parking permit for any vehicle that they park on campus. The university offers many different types of permits, be sure to purchase a permit that best suits your needs. Obtain a parking permit. If you are visiting Rutgers campus and do not have a parking pass, please reach out to the Student Services office for parking information.

Scholastic Standing Policies

Scholastic Standing Policies - Candidates for School of Communication and Information graduate degrees are expected to earn grades of B or better in their coursework. No more than 6 credits bearing a grade of C or C+, and no credits bearing a grade of F or IN, may be used in meeting requirements for the master's degree. Students who receive more 6 credits of C or C+ grades, or more than 3 credits of F grades, or expired incomplete grades are placed on probation or dismissed from the program. Please review the School of Communication and Information catalog for more information.

Amount of Time to Complete the Program

MCM and MHCI Students have four years to complete the program. The MCM degree typically requires three semesters of full-time study; 12 credits per semester is the maximum course load. Study is frequently pursued on a part-time basis.

MI Students have three years to complete the program; a request to extend the time for the degree would have to be done separately. On a part-time basis, students must register for a minimum of 12 credits per year unless special permission is obtained from the director of the program. The program may not be completed by enrollment during Summer Session only.

Deadlines to Apply for Graduation
  • August 15 for August graduates (finish during the summer term)
  • October 1 for October graduates (finish after the summer term)
  • January 2 for January graduates (finish during the fall term)
  • March 15 for May graduates (finish during the spring term)
Registration, Textbooks and Canvas Information


Register for Classes - Log in to WebReg. WebReg is short for web registration. It is the website where you can register for classes online. WebReg also allows you to search for open courses. For instructions on how to use WebReg, please review the Registration Instructions.

Please note that Fall registration typically begins in April and Spring registration typically begins in November. Once you have the pertinent information and know the courses you need, you should register as soon as possible to avoid problems with your term bill. If you have difficulty registering, contact the Office of Student Services via email or phone (848.932.7550 option 2). If you would like advice or have questions about the curriculum, please consult with your Graduate Program Director:

·         Richard Dool, Ph.D. – MCM and MHCI

·         Lilia Pavlovsky, Ph.D. – MI

·         Office of Student Services Email contacts

o   Master of Communication and Media -

o   Master of Health Communication and Information -

o   Master of Information -

Find/Order Textbooks - Use Rutgers' Online Bookstore and navigate through the process by following the instructions. Enter the term, department, course number, and section where prompted to do so. The course number consists of a school, department, course, and section code that are each separated by a semicolon(ex."aa:bbb:ccc:dd”).

aa = School code (not used to find books)
bbb = Department
ccc = Course
dd = Section

Many professors do not use textbooks. If you do not see one associated with your course, then email the instructor for further information.

Use the Rutgers Directory to find your professors
Step 1: Find their name on the Online Schedule of Courses.
Step 2: Search their name via the Rutgers Directory.
Step 3: Locate their name (next to the “Comm/Div/Dept” entitled “SC&I-department”).

Access Online Course Material via Canvas- At Rutgers, the web-based course delivery system you will use for your courses is called Canvas. Like on-campus courses, online courses at Rutgers are not available until the first day of class. Also, you may or may not receive a notification via Canvas about enrollment. Do no panic if you do not! Some courses send notifications and others do not. So long as you are registered in webreg, you will have access to the course material in Canvas upon the start of the semester.

Term Bill

Pay your Term Bill - Paper term bills are no longer mailed. students are required to have an official email address as well as a NetID and password. You will be sent an email when your term bill is viewable on the Student Accounting website. Please check that your email is correct at the University Directory.

Enrollment Information

Important Enrollment Information:

Transfer Credits (MCM) - Visit the MCM admission page for the most up to date information.

Transfer Credits (MHCI) - Visit the MHCI admission page for the most up to date information.

Transfer Credits (MI) - Visit the MI admission page for the most up to date information.

Matriculation Continued (Leave of Absence) - Students who must interrupt their studies may register for Matriculation Continued (leave of absence). There is no tuition fee for this registration, although a student fee is charged. Students who do not register for Matriculation Continued will be charged a reactivation fee upon their return to the program. (Students on temporary visas who interrupt their studies must in most cases leave the United States during such periods.) Matriculation Continued is available only to students not enrolled in any coursework and not using faculty time and university facilities, except to complete previous coursework from classes with incomplete or temporary grades. Students may enroll in Matriculation Continued for a maximum of two consecutive semesters.

Reinstatement - Any graduate student seeking re-enrollment after a voluntary or involuntary leave of absence must apply for reinstatement. If a student is eligible to return, the application for reinstatement will be processed in the Office of Student Services and submitted to the Graduate Registrar, where your academic records will be reactivated. Once approved and processed, students will be able to register for courses.

The SC&I Student Services office will notify students of their academic standing upon their reinstatement. Applications for reinstatement must be submitted by the deadline to be considered for reinstatement.

Term of Reinstatment Deadline
Fall Semester August 1st
Spring Semester January 3rd

Any student who has not been enrolled for more than two consecutive semesters must reapply to their program via an official application. Upon request, the Office of Student Services at SC&I can have letters of recommendation, GRE scores, or non-Rutgers transcripts be transferred from the original application to the new application. However, a new personal statement and CV is required. The personal statement should explain 1) what has changed that supports you completing the master’s program, and 2) how the program still fits into your career goals.

If readmitted, the Program Director will then inform the student exactly which, if any, of their previous SC&I master's credits will apply towards the degree and the expected timeline for degree completion. Please reach out to the Office of Students Services with any questions about readmission

Students who are reinstated or readmitted are required to be in compliance with the University covid-19 vaccination and booster mandate or they will have academic holds or registration blocks placed on their records. For information on the covid-19 protocols for Rutgers students, visit

If students seeking reinstatement in SC&I Master’s programs have any questions, they may email the appropriate email inbox below. Undergraduate students seeking reinstatement must contact their undergraduate admitting school.