We welcome international students to apply. Please note that there are five additional requirements that all international applicants must meet. See our International Students page for more detailed information.
- Minimum required scores on either TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) earned within the past three years
- TOEFL minimum required scores are 94+ for internet-based test (iBT) or 587 for paper-delivered test. The Rutgers Graduate School-New Brunswick suggests these minimum sub-score distributions: Writing, 24; Reading, 24; Listening, 22; Speaking, 24 (on iBT only).
- IELTS Academic test minimum required overall band score is 6.5+. IELTS results are delivered to receiving organizations by postal mail or electronic download. See IELTS for more information.
- Send GRE and TOEFL scores to Rutgers Institutional Code 2790; Rutgers does not use ETS department codes.
NOTE: TOEFL or IETLS are not required for:
- Students who earned their bachelor’s degree from an accredited U.S. college or university or have taken an accredited English as a Second Language program or course.
- International applicant students coming from an English-speaking country with a minimum of three years undergraduate education where the mode of instruction was English.
All decisions are made pending documentation.
- Evidence of adequate financial resources
- Proper Visa status
- An official transcript evaluation by any member of NACES (National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) such as WES (World Education Services). Refer to NACES for a full list of eligible evaluators
- A video-based interview (see below)
Important: Rutgers University may deny admission to non-immigrant students for lack of English proficiency, lack of financial support or because of improper visa status.trong>
Rutgers’ MI program uses two interview platforms for our international candidates: Duolingo and Spark Hire. This helps us determine that an applicant’s English proficiency is at a level that will ensure a positive learning experience and success in the MI program.
What you need to know for Duolingo:
- You will need to create Duolingo account and review the test requirements.
- There is a graded 45-minute adaptive test that evaluates your reading, writing, speaking and listening skills.
- The adaptive test is followed by a ten-minute ungraded video interview.
- The minimum Duolingo score for acceptance is 105.
What you need to for know Spark Hire:
- You will need a webcam or the Spark Hire mobile application (available for iOS and Android).
- You will be asked to record answers to four short questions.
- You will have a specified time limit and set number of attempts to complete each answer.
- You can review the Spark Hire video interview before you begin. The interview does not start until you are completely ready.